Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Stop The Workflow When there is a Data Error

s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

Hello There

I need to stop the workflow further from running when there is a data error in between of tools

I need to check the incoming data for ex. if any column has nulls then don’t process any rows including valid and stop the execution of workflow 

Can you give me suggestion if any workaround?

14 REPLIES 14
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@s_pichaipillai, The message tool should be able to help you out here, you can create an error when a particular expression is met.

Joe Lipski
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

Thanks Joe

Well, i already tried that too but i dont see stop the flow and i see few options but nothing helped me

see the below one option i used but it skips that rows and send the valid rows to next tool :( not stoping the execution 

Message.PNG

Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Strange, my example attached stops the workflow.

Message Pic.JPG

Could you send your example if you cannot get it to work?

Joe Lipski
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

i think you are using 10.0 and i am using 9.5 still

can that be a reason :)

see the one i attached for 9.5

ScottL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Have you tried looking at the Test tool, maybe in conjunction with the Field Summary (use the top, tabular output) to look for unwanted field contents?

Another option is to use the Summarize tool to count nulls, followed by a filter and then Test tool.

--

Scott Lutz
Solutions Engineer

Alteryx, Inc
359 Goswell Road, London, EC1V 7JL
Mobile: +44 7522 961835
LinkedIn| Skype | Email | Twitter
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Apologies, I had set my workflow up incorrectly and forgotten to add an expression! The Help states that: Note - All records are passed through regardless if the expression is true or false.

I would suggest trying @ScottL suggestion with the Test tool. Let us know how you get on.

Joe Lipski
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

Joe,

Nope , Test tool did not help me as i dont see any ourput to it

Am i miising something?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Attached is a sample workflow to STOP if you receive a NULL value.

1. SET RUNTIME configuration to Cancel Workflow on Error.

2. USE Block Until Done to keep other processes from running

2. Create a TEST for your condition.

I've added a macro that transposes all of the data and automates a failure with the presence of a NULL value.  You can use it as a test (output #1 from Block Until Done).  The macro requires a RecordID field.

Null Check.png

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here is my (somewhat ugly) workaround

Parent_ErrorChecker.png

I check for the condition using a filter; then count how many rows fail and attach that count to each row of my data.  Then I only allow all the data through if the count is zero.

It could be wrapped as a macro to make it cleaner.

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
Labels