Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Standardize / Normalize Metrics

Gtrujillo
6 - Meteoroid

Does anyone know of a tool or formula in Alteryx that can standardize / normalize data?  I see there's a standarize_unit-interval supporting macro but can not find this in Designer.  Here's the use case: I have 100,000 records of calls that were answered from productX and 15,000 records of calls abandoned from productY.  I need to standardize / normalize the data so it's comparable.  Thanks for the help!   

11 REPLIES 11
KevinMcCoy
5 - Atom

There's really three different options.

1. Normalize -> Select from Input Data

This is the basic setup. Select the numeric fields you like to normalize (by default it will select all numeric fields). This will produce your original dataset with all of the features normalized, as well as a parameters table that has the mean and standard deviation information.

2. Normalize -> Use Parameters Table (requires Parameters table)

This will normalize a table based off the parameters table from another dataset. If you want to run a model on new data (dataset B), but normalize your dataset based off of the dataset used to create the statistical model (dataset A), you can use the parameters table generated for that original dataset (A) to normalize your new dataset (B) from.

3. Denormalize (requires Parameters table)

This will take the normalized dataset and return your original data if you pass it the parameters table that was used to create it. The reverse of step 1 or step 2.

Note: Because of the way metadata flows through Alteryx, and since the data is transposed and cross-tabbed in the process, this macro may give you an error before you run it, even though it will actually work just fine. I'm not sure how to fix that, I think it's a bug with metadata within Alteryx itself. Please let me know if you run into any situations where the macro itself actually doesn't work (I haven't found any situations where the error wasn't a red-herring at this point).

TimothyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Kevin,

Same here. The output display no value while the parameter output tab can display. 

Labels