Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Simple question from a beginner

RussCrowe
5 - Atom

Hi Apologies, I'm a new user and finding the depth of information hard to navigate!

I'm looking to combine two databases with common references, but keep the data in two separate columns.

ie column 1 below is the common reference, column 2 is the data

Database 1

A

B

C

Database 2

A

C

B

D

Desired Combined database

A

B

C

D

I assumed this would be in union, or join, but don't seem to be able to get it to work!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

With the regular Join tool, you would get 3 records coming out of the "J" connection and one from the "R" (assuming that database 2, with the D value is the right-hand table). To get your desired outcome, you could then put a Union tool in and 'add' the "R" output to the "J".

Alternatively, if you use the Join Multiple tool, you will get what you want right out of the box.

There are reasons to use Join vs. Join Multiple, so it is a good idea to look at the help docs and do some experimentation.

Happy Alteryxing!

Labels