Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sending emails with dynamic number of attachments

Biko
7 - Meteor

Hey guys - need your urgent help on this 🙂 

I have a list of clients that have a single or multiple reports to be attached in each email. 

Client A has 2 fullpaths (2 xls file)

Client B has 2 fullpath (2 xls file)

Client C has 1 fullpath (1 xls file)

What I did:

1. Summarize - group by client and concatenate fullpath.

2. Text to column - unconcatenate fullpath by 5 columns (as max reports are 5).

3. Autofield - everything.

4. Dynamic select - Null is represented as boolean. So I uncheck that. This will delete the null columns 3, 4, and 5. I am left with 2 columns: concat_fullpath1 and concat_fullpath2 (second pic below).

5. Email - I added concat_fullpath1 and concat_fullpath2 as attachment. I was thinking if either of the value is null then it probably won't attach anything. 

Now client A and B are ok because they have 2 attachments. 

Client C is giving the email tool an error because concat_fullpath2 is null. 

How can I avoid this?

Input.jpegDynamic Select.jpegEmail.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6
RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @Biko 

Hard to say without a workable sample file...

However, have you checked out this post in the Community?

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Email/ta-p/32129

If the resource works for you, please give credit to @MattD versus marking my response as a Solution.

Good Luck!

Biko
7 - Meteor

Unfortunately my company doesnt allow uploads and I don't have any windows laptop at the moment 😞

Not sure how to provide you with the sample file. Sorry about that. 

Biko
7 - Meteor

@RNO2 - I think the solution is similar to this post https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Email-Batch-Macro-With-Varying-of-Atta.... However need to integrate it with multiple client level? Been tinkering but can't get it to work. Do you know have any idea?

Biko
7 - Meteor

After a day of tinkering using Claje's macro I was able to integrate to utilize it to my purpose. 

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Just seeing this today @Biko 

Glad you were able to tweak it out.

Can you share conceptually what modifications you made?

Thanks!

Cfdiaz2103
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Biko !

In order to sending dynamically those emails with their corresponding attachments, you need to separate all records by identifying which clients have 2 attachments. Try to do that with a Filter Tool, followed by this parameter: !IsNull([Concat_FullPath2]). In that case, Client A and Client B should output theirselves from the True Anchor, while the Client C should output itself from the False Anchor. Next, drag a Select Tool to the False Anchor, and deselect the [Concat_FullPath2] field. Finally, copy and paste the Email Tool you previously configured and drag it to the Select Tool, and deselect the attachment Field: [Concat_FullPath2].

Hope it works! 😉

Labels