Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Sending emails based on conditions

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey Community. I am trying to send out emails that notify certain people when a piece of equipment gets an error code labeled "critical" but I'm getting stuck. I want to use more than just the filter tool because I don't want to be emailing out blank email attachments. What I have right now is a report that shows only the critical error codes and the event I scheduled will send that report. However, if there are no critical error codes, the report still gets emailed out but is blank. I need the workflow to run every 5 minutes so the recipient receives the notification almost instantly from the time the equipment logged the critical condition. What I don't want to happen is an email being generated every 5 minutes when the report is blank.

I've done some research and I think I need to use the Detour tool, but I am extremely unfamiliar with all of the interface tools and the developer tools and I'm hoping someone either has a different solution than those tools or can help me understand those tools and possibly apply the Detour tool to this workflow.

7 REPLIES 7
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Shelbey 

A possible solution would be to only send the email on a successful run of a workflow and triggering an error if there are no critical codes. Use the Count Records tool followed by the Message tool with the following configuration

data-validation.png

The configure the workflow to cancel running if an error occurs - this can be done within Runtime setting of the workflow

cancel-workflow.png

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you! This was way easier than what I was trying to do! 

dmccandless
8 - Asteroid

I've seen this solution proposed across multiple threads, but it is not robust.

For example - if you have a workflow that could send 2 separate emails, if you conditionally throw an error to keep email 1 from sending, then email 2 won't send b/c the email tool won't send emails when there are errors in the workflow.

So, how can you solve for this problem?

I have two distinct email tools in my workflow (email A and email B). I ALWAYS need email A to send, I only need email B to send if a certain condition (e.g. record count). Because I ALWAYS need email A to send, I can't conditionally throw an error to prevent B from sending.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@dmccandless 

You could use a macro with the 2 email tools in individual tool containers. Rather than throwing an error, you could dynamically enable / disable the tool containers based on a condition.

leahpenelope
7 - Meteor

Hi!

Could you show an example workflow? How would you create the macro in such a case?

Thanks!

rossjustin
6 - Meteoroid

Can you share a workflow for this?

SkyD
7 - Meteor

Hello, do you happen to have the macro on hand? I am trying to send an email when count > 0 titled "Please investigate" , and an alternative email when count = 0, titled " All good" .  However I am running into a problem, the email does not send when count = 0.

Labels