Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Selecting a row to start data import from a .xlsb file

ramedfr
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I need to use a .xlsb file as an input from row 3 to the end of the file. Column labels are at row 3 and the actual data start at row 4.

Unfortunately there isn't a "Start Data Import on line" for .xlsb files as it is there for .xlsx files.

I learnt that I could use the Select Records tool to specify the rows I want to use, but it didn't work. After witting +3 in Ranges field, Alteryx keeps getting data from the very first row.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Henrique10
5 - Atom

Hello, Try to put a filter that contains the labels on line 3.

mdelaney
7 - Meteor

Hi @ramedfr - I would recommend bringing in all of the records from the xlsb file, and then you can simply add a Sample tool to skip the first 2 rows, and a Dynamic Rename tool to take field names from first row of data (it is an option on the Rename Mode dropdown). That will accomplish the same task as what you can do with xlsx files via the Input tool.

Hope that helps.

Matt 

ramedfr
7 - Meteor

Hi @mdelaney,

This didn't work. I selected "Skip 1st N rows" and set N = 2 in the Sample Tool. If a put a Filter tool after that, the columns values I see aren't the ones on row 3. Alteryx keeps showing columns as if I didn't use the Sample tool.

I'm attaching a picture of the values I see in the input tab when I click on the Sample tool.

Thank you.

mdelaney
7 - Meteor

@ramedfr Thanks for including the picture. If that is what you are seeing in the input side of the Sample Tool, then you only need to skip 1 row of data (set N = 1), as it looks like the headers are on Record 2. You will then need to add the Dynamic Rename tool after the Sample tool to take the field names from first row of data.

Then you can add a Filter tool after the Dynamic Rename tool, and it should show you the correct column headers.

ramedfr
7 - Meteor

This worked fine. Thank you!

Labels