Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select columns dynamically at the run time in Analytical App

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am bulding an analytical application. I have a scenario wherein, user must select the columns at run time and post which those coulmns must be grouped by. Please help me on this.

10 REPLIES 10
DataBlender
11 - Bolide

Hi @AmitBelagali,

From your query I think what you need is to check the option 'Show field map' in the macro input tool:

Show Field Map: When checked, the end user will be asked to point to their fields that match the template input specified in step 1.

jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@AmitBelagali,

Are you referring to needing to modify an SQL Select query based on what the user selects?

We (or me specifically) would need a bit more details and maybe show/share what you've developed in Alteryx so far to add some context to what you'd like Alteryx to do.

If it might help, take a look at the Virtual Training site. There's 3 "Applications" and 3 "Macros" recordings that might include what you're trying to achieve.

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DataBlender,

Thanks a lot for your swift reply.

I cannot use Macro Input tool as the workflow will be converted to a macro type workflow and not Analytical app. I need to have the workflow as an analytical app.

The problem that I am facing is, I have source as an excel, there are like 24-26 columns. In which, I need to give option to user to select dimensions and measures. Post which, if the field is a string then it should be added to group by and if the field is a measure ( double or float) then it should be summed. 

Hope this is clear. 

Thanks in advance. 

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi @

jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @AmitBelagali,

Attached is probably the easiest way that I can think of, assuming I understood your need correctly, by transposing and then crosstabbing the data back, but SUM'd. The action tools are used to simply update the field selections.

I know that there's another way to accomplish this by having the Action tool update the XML configuration of the Summarize tool directly, but updating XML is a bit out of my skill set.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jimmy

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

jgo
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @AmitBelagali,

Thank you for accepting my response as your solution. I'm not sure if i'm following what you mentioned though. Would you be able to share a workflow that encompasses what you're trying to do? This would give me a bit more perspective if I can a look at what the data looks like to start with and what it should look like afterwards.

AmitBelagali
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

HBarge
8 - Asteroid

Hi Amit,

Thank you for the example.

However, I am unable to get an output.

Can you make this a bit more easy? 

OutputOutput

Labels