Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select a column then sort by it using an App

Brad1
11 - Bolide

How can I select any random column I want to sort by using an App?

Thanks for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Use a Drop Down Interface Tool: for column values, choose "Fields from Connected Tool," then use that to update your sort condition.

Brad1
11 - Bolide

2018-08-20_22-39-25.jpg I can't choose "Fields from Connected Tool,"  That drop down is disabled.  I'm trying to understand how to update the Sort Tool.  Doesn't seem to be a way to do it but I know it should work.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

A-ha, thanks for showing the picture.  You can run out from your input tool's actual data flow into the top of your Drop-Down tool; then the option you want should be enabled.

Brad1
11 - Bolide

2018-08-21_7-55-27.jpg2018-08-21_7-57-27.jpg2018-08-21_7-58-57.jpg2018-08-21_7-59-22.jpg  Let me unhide the wires.  I suspect picture number 3 is wrong.  I want to be able to select whatever file.  The fields to dynamically populated but I can't get the sort to dynamically do anything.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Can you run from the green Input Tool ("Choose a File") into the top of the Drop-Down?

Brad1
11 - Bolide

Thanks for all the input on this issue.  Greatly appreciated.

The answer is for the Action Tool - it has to be exactly as below or it does not work.  At least, it doesn't work for me.

2018-08-22_9-40-41.jpg

Labels