Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select Columns based on position

gwiz
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to select columns based on position? I want to delete all columns to the right of a column labeled "Indicator". That column name is irrelevant, but the idea of removing columns to the right of a specific column is what I'd like to do. I did come up with one way to do it but was curious if there is another way.

My way was to:

1) take the first record, then transpose to get the names of the columns in the "Name" column.

2) I used a  record id tool to provide a record for each column.

3) Then I used a formula tool to add record id and "Name" column.

4) Next, I dynamic renamed using "take field name from right input rows". So now the column labeled "Indicator" actually is labled "17_Indicator".

5) Lastly I used a dynamic select with a formula "ToNumber(Left([Name], 2)) <= 17" which dropped the other columns obviously.

I am not sure this sequence is the most efficient way. Is there another way to deselect columns to the right of a specific column? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @gwiz 

There's an option to select "Field Number", which is the position of your column in your dataset.

snip3213.PNG

Cheers,

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

^ In the Dynamic Select tool. 

To do all the action you described, I would probably go about it in the same way you already have. One suggestion would be use the Field Info tool to get the names rather than sampling a record and transposing. 

gwiz
8 - Asteroid

That certainly helped! Thank you thank you @Thableaus! good thing to know now going forward

gwiz
8 - Asteroid

Yes thats a good thought too @CharlieS, thanks

Labels