Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

SPLIT rows based on row value

flojosx
7 - Meteor

Hi All, 

I have to generate Consumer IDs based on the number of customers in a category. So I like to go from 

GroupNo. of costumers
A2
B3
C5

To

IDGroupNo. of costumers
ID10001A2
ID10002A2
ID10003B3
ID10004B3
ID10005B3
ID10006C5
ID10007C5
ID10008C5
ID10009C5
ID10010C5

I tried the generate row tool but somehow I got way too many records. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
neilgallen
12 - Quasar
Using the generate rows tool along with a record I’d would get you the results you need.

You could use the generate records tool where the condition is <= your number of customers field. All other values could be the same as the default.

After making the right number of rows, then add a record ID tool to make your ID field.
flojosx
7 - Meteor

Thanks you so much for the quick reply! this worked. I was doing the same thing but was using a min (0) and max (customer number) column which resulted in waaaay too many column. the defaults worked. Thank you!

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @flojosx 

Here's a possible way to do it:

likethis.PNG

- Use generate rows to generate the row until No. of Customers (RowCount <= [No. of costumers])

- Use RecordID starting at 10000, string size of 5

- Change the string size to 7, remove RowCount with the Select Tool

- Use Formula Tool to add the "ID" string to Record ID

WF attached.

Cheers,

Labels