Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Running workflow multiple times for all outputs to come through one excel file

Gilbro4422
6 - Meteoroid
I have a large workflow that has multiple outputs, but all the outputs are coming together into one final output. I am having to run the workflow 3 times in order for my final Excel file to have all the outputs I had created. I am hoping someone might have had this same issue, and figured out how to only have to run the workflow once and have all the outputs come through.
7 REPLIES 7
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @Gilbro4422 ,

Would you be able to share a little more on why you're needing to run the workflow three times?  Are you making some changes with each run to create new results to append, or using new inputs?

A screenshot of the workflow may help for a little context as well.

Gilbro4422
6 - Meteoroid
No I am not changing anything between the runs. In my workflow I have several workflows that are doing different thing and all have their own outputs. I am saving those outputs into the same Excel file so I can create one Excel workbook that is has all my outputs. All the workflows are joined together at the end so that I could create an output that summarized all the workflows that are joined together at the end. It seems that maybe because there so much information coming that running each time pulls in another piece that didn't come in on the first or second run. It appears that running the workflow 3 times pulls in all the information that I created. I have attached my workflow and the excel file that hold all the information and how I want it setup. I just need to figure out how to only have to run the workflow one time and the Excel file contains all workflows being pulled in.
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Gilbro4422  - Interesting, as there shouldn't be any limitations on the records coming into Designer.  Looks like you've posted the .xlsx, are you able to share the workflow .yxmd file as well?

Gilbro4422
6 - Meteoroid
Sorry not sure why it didn't attach when I did it the first time with the excel file. I believe it should be attached this time.
Gilbro4422
6 - Meteoroid
I don't why it won't attach the workflow. I have attached snapshots of the workflow. I hope that helps!
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Gilbro4422 

My thought here is that because you have many output tools writing to the same excel file, they're competing to write at the same time and that's causing errors generating some sheets until it's run enough times that they're all created.

Whats typically done here is to use the block until done tool - you'll probably want one or a series of them at the beginning of your workflow to branch out from, but with a Block tool in place your workflow will run, create the first sheet, run the next process and create this sheet, and so on.

Check out this article for reference:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-to-write-to-multiple-tabs-separ...

Gilbro4422
6 - Meteoroid
That worked! Thank you so much!!
Labels