Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Macro 1 Row of Data at a Time

cmbarnett
6 - Meteoroid

I have a standard macro that I want to run for each row of data in my Input but only after the previous row has finished processing in the macro. The macro runs a batch script that kicks off an internal process, writes data to a SQL database, then creates a large CSV file. Alteryx seems to be running all rows simultaneously which won't work as I need resources freed before processing the next row of data.

Screenshot of workflow with 2 rows to be processedScreenshot of workflow with 2 rows to be processed

Macro for processing row of dataMacro for processing row of data

2 REPLIES 2
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cmbarnett it sounds like you would need to create a batch macro then. This would run the first row from your input then the second row. From the picture of your standard macro you wouldn't need to change much to turn it into a batch macro.

cmbarnett
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the quick reply! I forgot to mention I tried that but got confused when it mentioned "missing ControlParams field mapping". But I took a second look and found that by adding a new column to define the order I wanted to run the rows in did the trick! I also updated my macro to anticipate the OrderID as part of the input but then filtered it out using the Select tools.

I've included screenshots in case someone might reference this in the future.

Input with OrderIDInput with OrderID

Selecting GROUP By for macroSelecting GROUP By for macro

Labels