Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Run Container is order

We need some way (unless one exists that I am unaware of - beyond disabling all but the Container I want to run) to fire off containers in particular order.  Run Container "Step1" then Run Container "Step2" and so on.

18 Comments
Brad1
11 - Bolide

Containers seem to run in the order they were dragged onto the canvas.  Which I guess makes sense considering this all ends up in XML and the first container will be highest in the code.  Even if you renumber the container - it looks like it will still run in order of being added to the canvas.  A dedicated tool would be nice.  Maybe something like a Select Tool - only instead of dragging fields up and down in the order - you drag Container Names up and down in the order.  My solution has been to either break it into multiple workflows and run one at a time or if only two containers to disable one container and Run then disable the other and Run.  I can't think of any pitfalls above.   Looks like a creative solution to me - if it always works.  Changing everything I have built is like trying to turn the Titanic.  And we all know how well that worked out.  Might try it on a new build.  I'd like to see it move forward.  Maybe a hunger strike.  I need to loose some weight anyway.

Brad1
11 - Bolide

It needs more likes to hit the radar screen.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @DQAUDIT - fully agree with you about the need.

The reason why we use Batch Macros is that the block until done does have its limitations, and we've seen some areas where it does not stop Alteryx from executing the downstream flow.   @Claje may be able to shine some more light on this phenomenon?

Have a good week

Sean

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Accepted

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

Designer team is currently planning on a new type of container that allows for container sequencing. Stay tuned for more info to come in the coming months!

Main Idea: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Control-Order-of-Execution-of-Workflow-Objec... 

Related Idea: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Design-Patterns-Order-of-execution-Condition... 

NJ

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Coming Soon

We believe Control Containers will be an excellent solution to this idea! 😁

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx
Status changed to: Implemented

It brings us incredible joy to announce that Control Containers are finally here - and they are awesome. Check out more details about this amazing new tool in this blog article!

Cheers!!!

NicoleJ_0-1684359006784.gif