Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Request to not drop last empty in Text to Columns - Split to Rows

It would be great if there was a way for the Text to Columns tool did not drop the last empty when using Split to Rows.

For example, if I had the data:

RecordIDString

Notice that each value has two commas (representing three values per cell), and If I configure to split into rows on the comma character, what would you expect the result to be:

Result A:

RecordIDString

OR

Result B:

RecordIDString

OR

Result C:

RecordIDString

I would expect Result C if I selected "Skip Empty Fileds", and that is what happens if I select that option.

But If I do not want to skip empty fields, I would expect Result B, but what I get is Result A where the last value/field is dropped/skipped.

What would it take to Result B as the output from the Text to Columns tool?

2 Comments
troyfurnace
7 - Meteor

Confirmed - same behavior still seen in version 2019.2 - drops last column if empty.

My work-around was as follows.  Case: reading in several files with varying numbers of columns (but at least within each file, the first row is headers, and the data have consistent # columns with header).  Desired output - vertical version of each file, with name/value pair per "cell" of data, regardless if the "cell" was empty (a la your "Result B").

What I did:

1. Text to Columns (rows)
  2. Multi-row formula to create a FieldID (sequential)
  3. Split header row from rest of data
  4. Join header stream with data stream on file and FieldID
  5. Union the L and J outputs.

If the tool worked like you'd expect (your "Result B"), you would only need the J output.  But including the L ensured that I got cases where the last column is always empty.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes