Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Render tool creating multiple files

Matt_Eder
5 - Atom

Hello, 

I have a workflow currently set up to run as an analytic app (AA). The user selects the file input and answers a drop down question. From there, the workflow runs and configures the input into tables, and then uses the render tool to output the data into one excel sheet with 3 sheets.

However, if the AA is ran again with the same file input, the render tool then creates 3 files (1 for each sheet). Any reason this is happening? Even if I delete the first file this still happens. 

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Could you clarify a few things for me?

- The app always works the first time, but breaks on subsequent runs of identical input?

- The app always Renders a single, 3 sheet output the first time?

- How is the output path defined/modified? Share the formulas if possible.

Can you share the workflow with dummy information? That's always the best way to help troubleshoot. 

Matt_Eder
5 - Atom

1. Yes, correct.

2. Yes, correct. 

Matt_Eder_1-1572292810719.png

I am unable to reproduce the workflow with dummy data.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm going to recommend you take a different approach to rendering the sheets and updating the file path.

- Check out my attached example on how to render multiple, named sheets. The trick is in the Layout tool to arrange "Vertical with Section Breaks" (since section breaks = sheet in Excel), and do it by Group, and assign a "Section Name" with the dropdown at the bottom of the Layout tool.

- The above process with handle your sheet names, so now you can add a Formula tool to update the primary file path. This formula is easily edited with an Action tool in apps. The Render tool settings will replace the entire file path with the value from this Formula tool and the Layout is handling the sheets outside of this. 

Matt_Eder
5 - Atom

Ahh, thank you!. I was already using the layout tool but I was grouping the layout and render on the same field. 

Labels