Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Sharepoint Names

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I am bring in some data from Sharepoint to a workflow. The Attendee column is adding various characters to the name data. The names come through looking like this:

81;#ZZ_John Smith;78;#Mark Smith;105;#Joe Bloggs Carpenter;13;#Ashley Le Brocq;26;#Alan Shearer;

I would like to present the data as simple names separated by a comma, i.e.

John Smith, Mark Smith, Joe Bloggs Carpenter, Ashley Le Blocq, Alan Shearer

I have tried to use the regex parse function, but regex is still in the realms of the dark arts for me at this stage.

Does anyone have a solution they can share with me?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Sidey1978,

You could do it with a regex tokenise and a summarise tool

The tokenise expression could be #(?:.*?_)?(.*?);

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Sidey1978 

You can also do it in a single formula tool like this

TrimLeft(REGEX_Replace(Replace([Field1],";",""), "\d+#(?:.*?_)?", ","),",")

Working from the inside out

Replace([Field1],";","") replaces all the Semi colons with empty strings

REGEX_Replace(XXX, "\d+#(?:.*?_)?", ",") replaces the remaining non-word characters with a comma.  The expression is

\d+#  matches any number of digits followed by #

(?:.*?_)?  The blue inner part .*?_ matches any sequence of character ending in a "_".  The wrapping part in green says that the inner part is optional.  This handles the "ZZ_" which is only there at the start

TrimLeft(xxx,",") The regex leaves an extra comma at the start, so this removes it.

Dan

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @danilang & @Jonathan-Sherman 

Awesome stuff, as always regex blows my mind! Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Cheers!

Labels