Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reading list of files in folder

Eivind
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

To make a workflow more dynamic and easy-to-use for others, I'd like to start it by having Alteryx asks the user to browse to the folder containing the input files, and then generating a list of all the filenames in that folder. I then have a batch-macro that will read all these files into a database for further analysis.

The problem is then: How can I make a workflow that gives the user a browsing window, then makes a list of all files in the user-selected folder?

I think Alteryx has this capability, but not been able to figure it out yet. Any thoughts appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can create an Analytic App and have a Folder Browse in it.

Take a look at: http://www.alteryx.com/resources/creating-analytic-apps-with-alteryx-analytics

Will do a quick sample at lunch

Simple sample attached. Scans for CSV files and saves list.txt. (Saved in 10.5 should you need 10.0 will hack the file)

Eivind
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks a bunch for helping out! Just what I needed.

FFFool
9 - Comet

I'm working on a similar app, but am having trouble when selecting Excel files using the File Browse. It doesn't give the option to choose a sheet, as far as I can tell. I've tried adding a second input to generate a list of sheet names, but it won't update the list of sheet names until the workflow processes, and retains the initial file choices list of sheet names. Is there any way to select a sheet name, or provide a drop down that will update with the sheet names after the file is chosen? I'm confused because I got the drop down to work just fine when choosing a field, and I manipulated the list of sheets so that each sheet was the name of the field, expecting that to work, and it does, it just doesn't update the drop-down. 

Any help is appreciated. There might be a simple solution to choose a sheet I'm just missing. 

Thanks! 

Mahadeva
8 - Asteroid

Hi  

Labels