Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Read Tableau Extract Files

Right now we can create Tableau extract files (.tde), but cannot read them into Alteryx -- this limits the partnership of these two companies.
Please add the functionality to import .tde files,
Best,
Jeremy

42 Comments
kevinbird15
9 - Comet

Ah, I figured there was a reason it hadn't been done yet.  Thanks for the update Jason.  

EDIT:  http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Read-Tableau-Extract-Files/idi-p/1531  Looks like somebody already has suggested this!

alexandra_hanna
7 - Meteor

It's 2016 please enable this progressive idea. It could potentially mean saving thousands of hours! For instance, if you have download privileges to Tableau datasources then with Alterx one can get the data themselves, reshape/modify to ones needs and not have to wait for your collegues to come back from lunch.

michael_perillo
8 - Asteroid

This is a great idea and it's for sure something Tableau needs to address.  This Tableau Idea was posted today.  Please log in and vote it up.

Open source TDE specs

https://community.tableau.com/ideas/5934

JCR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Partner Dependent

vizandy
7 - Meteor

I second this idea, but I should point all to the Tableau API that already exists... If you know Java / C / C++ / Python, you are able to read in the file and update / recreate a TDE.

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/api/sdk/en-us/help.htm#SDK/tableau_sdk_working_with_extracts.h...

zdavis
7 - Meteor

I am constantly dealing with big data that we are trying to represent in Tableau. When I output data into TDE for consumption, I have to create a second output in Alteryx that is consumable in order to avoid having to re-run giant aggregations. This takes up huge chunks of disc space, and would be immediately solved with the ability to use the TDE output files in Tableau.

siraj_samsudeen
5 - Atom
Thanks a lot for the prompt response. I hope Tableau makes it possible soon. Is there an idea on the Tableau forum which I can vote on?
siraj_samsudeen
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx team, any status on this feature? With Tableau 10.1, there is a lot of API access available now. I am not sure whether you still have the API to read TDE files - can you please confirm as this would really be very useful. 

LauraS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

They have not opened up the ability to read TDE files.   We are still working closely with Tableau on integration points and will let you know if anything changes.   

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

Does the addtional integration possilbity include the option to try and link directly to a published data set on Tableau Server? I know you have the option for publishing data to server so I am curious why you can't read data from server.