Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Re: Output to multiple sheets within an Excel file

alexisjensen
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

is is there a way to have separate output tools output to different sheets in the same excel file?  I selected the same file with different sheet names, but I get an error that the file is in use.

i appreciate any pointers.

regards,

Alexis

10 REPLIES 10
jlefeaux
8 - Asteroid

@wildflower -- that's a nice trick.  Where do you have the Browse tools? Also coming out of the Block Until Done?

As far I understand it, all the Block Until Done tool does is hold off executing the next step until all records have arrived at it.  Which, if the recordset is small enough, may not take long enough to allow another workstream to open, write, and close the output file.

Browse tools can take some time to execute [that's why there's a 'Disable All Browse Tools' option in the Workflow-Runtime configuration - to speed up execution].  My hunch is your Browse tools are providing enough of a delay for any other workstream that got to the output file first to finish their business, thus releasing the file for access.

It's all a matter of timing, which means the results can be inconsistent--sometimes a workflow will successfully write through all different Output tools, sometimes not (hence your successful execution even after removing your Browse tools). And when unsuccessful, the particular Outputs that fail can differ from run to run as well.

The reason @StephenR's solution works is that it has all of the records together in one big table, with the worksheet they're supposed to be written to in a field.  Then there is only one Output tool & hence only one Open/Write/Close operation, in which the Write part writes all worksheets at once.

Labels