Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

R tool is not added

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have the R predictive analysis package installed for Alteryx, but I don't have the R script tool. I tried to see if it was hidden in the configure toolbar option, but it wasn't there either. I have tried to uninstall Alteryx and re-install it to see if that fixed the problem and it did not. Has anyone experienced this problem and know a fix to it? Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Have you looked in the Developer tool group or tried the search to see if it shows up?

Search R.png

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Yes I have done both and it doesn't show up.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MM_Chris It's a longshot, but you may want to check your additional plugins folder:

If you installed admin version of alteryx: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\Settings\AdditionalPlugins 
If you installed non-admin version of alteryx: C:\Users\<<USERID>>\AppData\Local\Alteryx\Settings\AdditionalPlugins

This is where a ini file for R is stored. One time i had a situation where I had some other ini files in this folder that were pointing to the wrong files and thus preventing R from loading even though the R ini file was fine. So double check that every ini file in that folder is pointing to a valid directory.

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @MM_Chris,

If you have no luck with the above, then please reach out to support@alteryx.com to investigate. I have seen this happen when an add-on package has a special character or similar in 'C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\AddOnData\Macros' and so not all packages (including the R Tool) initialise properly on load. 

The attached module may assist in troubleshooting. It may not mean much to you but may give support some more info.

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Hi @patrick_digan,

I do see the RPlugin and when I open it I see this.

[Settings]
x64Path=C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-3.3.2\plugin\x64\
x86Path=C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-3.3.2\plugin\x86\
ToolGroup=Developer

Does this look correct to you?

MM_Chris
8 - Asteroid

Hi @KaneG,

I ran the module and I didn't get any errors. Was it supposed to change anything at all if there were any special characters detected?

Thank you.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MM_Chris Yep that that's the same as mine. Assuming you have the 2 dll files then in "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-3.3.2\plugin\x64\", then I would reach out to support@alteryx.com as @KaneG suggested.

OliverW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi everybody!

I ran into this situation myself today on my second device on which I installed in the past a specific tool package for Alteryx from a Third Party provider. This package put an .ini file into 

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\Settings\AdditionalPlugins 

as well, in total I had 3 ini files there, the one from R, the one from that 3rd party tool package and a third one from an Outlook Connector for Alteryx (which is great by the way, feel free to check it out).

I checked all of the 3 Ini-files and the locations they were pointing to, to see if locations really existed. I found that the R Tool Ini File and the Outlook Ini File were pointing to correct locations. For the 3rd one though, the 3rd party tool package, the path specified in that specific Ini file was messed up, it was pointing to a Temp directory which of course did not exist anymore.

In the end, just deleting this messed up Ini file, did the trick and after a restart of the Alteryx Designer my R Tool was there again.

So whenever you run into this issue, really do not just check if the R Ini file is pointing to a correct, existing folder, but check ALL of the Ini files in these folders, as any that might be messed up, will prevent the others from loading as well.

Best wishes

Oliver 

idaho8007
7 - Meteor

This is awesome! Now I can see  the R tool!!

Labels