Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Quote Marks in CSV File

ericlaug
7 - Meteor

I have a CSV file where the fields are not enclosed in quote marks but some text fields contain quote marks as part of the data - for example 5" X 3" Cards. Rows with this kind of value don't import correctly. I've tried all four settings of Option 9 of the Input Data tool "Ignore Delimiters in" without success.

The odd thing is that this file opens up perfectly in Excel. So my workaround is to open the CSV in Excel and then save it as an Excel document and use that as my input.

If I were to guess at a solution, it might be:

1. Automate the conversion of the CSV file to an Excel document.
  2. Otherwise transform the CSV file before importing it as data.
  3. Try something I haven't thought of.

The attached sample produces the kind of error I'm getting. Any ideas?

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
ericlaug
7 - Meteor

Works like a charm. Thanks, everyone, for the help. As Jessica said, Lordy, I love this place!

mvtthewcornelison
7 - Meteor

@nicole You're the best, thanks for saving me!

EricMartinson
7 - Meteor

Hi @NicoleJohnson,

Thank you for posting this!

This solution seems to be the one that would work for an issue I'm working on (extra quotes inside of quotes) but my data file has 38 fields/columns and at the first record ID step, it is only including 29 fields. I'm getting this message below about truncated records. Is 29 the max number of fields allowed? 

Issue: 

EricMartinson_0-1611765668856.png

Error Messages:

EricMartinson_1-1611765725283.png

djaipras
7 - Meteor

This seem like an issue that should be handled in the Input Tool with an upgrade.

The current set-up isn't intuitive. 

If I have a file that uses a pipe delimiter and I select "Ignore Delimiters in Quotes" I still get an error message where Alteryx is trying to delimit on quotes eventhough I'm not delimiting by quotes.

The solution of having to clean the file before putting into Alteryx, also seems counter-intuitive to using Alteryx.

Labels