Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Python Tool - installing conda dependencies

joewkelly
7 - Meteor

How can I run "conda" to install dependencies?  I'm trying to use the Python Tool, and here's the scenario we've uncovered -- 

One of our Python developers has made great use of a library, pymc3.  I'm able to install it using --

Alteryx.installPackages("pymc3")

However, when I go to import it -- 

import pymc3

I get some warnings:

WARNING (theano.configdefaults): g++ not available, if using conda: `conda install m2w64-toolchain`
c:\users\***user***\appdata\local\alteryx\bin\miniconda3\pythontool_venv\lib\site-packages\theano\configdefaults.py:560: UserWarning: DeprecationWarning: there is no c++ compiler.This is deprecated and with Theano 0.11 a c++ compiler will be mandatory
  warnings.warn("DeprecationWarning: there is no c++ compiler."
WARNING (theano.configdefaults): g++ not detected ! Theano will be unable to execute optimized C-implementations (for both CPU and GPU) and will default to Python implementations. Performance will be severely degraded. To remove this warning, set Theano flags cxx to an empty string.
WARNING (theano.configdefaults): install mkl with `conda install mkl-service`: No module named 'mkl'
WARNING (theano.tensor.blas): Using NumPy C-API based implementation for BLAS functions.

I highlighted a couple of conda commands that may resolve these warnings.  However, I'm unable to, from Jupyter, run

!conda install m2w64-toolchain

I saw that conda-script.py and conda.exe are located here --

C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\Scripts

When I tried to execute conda from powershell inside jupyter inside Alteryx at the above path, I also ran into an error that conda was not recognized.

(File -> Open; New -> Terminal)

My colleague says that pymc3 will likely run, but very slowly if these additional dependencies are not installed. 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Alteryx does not use conda environments. Is there a pip installer available?

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

joewkelly
7 - Meteor

Hi Sruhl,

According to this blog, I have two options: http://hellotushar.blogspot.com/2017/06/installing-theano-on-64-bit-windows.html

• g++: This is a bit difficult and tricky if you don't know (except if you are not Bahubali!). Nonetheless, follow the steps on: http://www.msys2.org/ and install mingw-64 toolchain.
  • IF THIS DOES NOT WORK, THEN UNFORTUNATELY YOU HAVE TO INSTALL MINICONDA FROM here: https://conda.io/miniconda.html and
    enter conda install m2w64-toolchain  [You have to rely on conda! can't do much on this]

I thought that Alteryx was using conda (or at least Miniconda) because of the paths that I mention in my original post? I just wasn't able to actually execute the conda commands.  I will try installing mingw tomorrow.  For what it's worth, my coworker mentioned that I could try installing mingw by using Chocolatey. I'll try this and report back.

(Pymc3 relies on Theano, which is why the link above is relevant)

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @joewkelly,

Thanks for posting!

In my case, I made it work by adding g++ folder -msys2 install- to the environment variable PATH.

Example: from https://docs.pymc.io/notebooks/sampler-stats.html 

AlteryxGui_2018-10-01_22-11-48.png

Miniconda was originally used in the early version of Python SDK but not anymore.

Thanks,

Paul Noirel

Sr Customer Support Engineer, Alteryx

DavidM
Alteryx
Alteryx
MDhaker
7 - Meteor

Hi PaulN,

Can you please help us with the steps to create virtual ENV and then switch in Python tool like you have done in your code (In your screenshot I see virtual env is "Python 3").

I can only see "designerbasetools_venv" and not able to create any other virtual environment.

You help is much apprecicated.

Thank You.

Labels