Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Prompt to replace column value

tviz21
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that I run weekly where I use a formula to create a column titled "Season" with the season value. When I change to the next season, I have to manually update my formula tool, tab name and output data prefix name.  For example, I am running SUMMER2018 data but, soon I'll need to update this for FALL2018.

Can I build a prompt where I can say "find [enter season] and replace with [enter season] in my workflow? Should I be looking at the Dynamic Replace tool? 

Thanks,

Toni

5 REPLIES 5
SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Hey Toni!

Do you have a date/time stamp somewhere in your data that you can use to build a variable to check for season at the beginning of the workflow? For example if your "seasons" are based on a quarter of the year you can use the date time now tool at the beginning of the workflow and follow up with a formula tool that looks at the current date and time and figures out what season it is. That can then be used to update your workflow accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

tviz21
8 - Asteroid

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply - I run multiple seasons at any given week so wanted a way to not 1) create a separate workflow for each season and 2) avoid having to look for and change the season each time I run the single workflow. Was hoping for some kind of text find and replace tool like Excel has (find SUMMER18 and replace with FALL18)

Thanks again!

Bob_Blackey
11 - Bolide

Have you worked with Analytic Apps at all? There you could have one prompt when the user runs it and it can change multiple tools.

Cheers,

Bob

SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I definitely agree with Bob then...running it as an analytic app with a drop down where you can select the season will allow you to use the action tool to update each component that needs to be updated with the season you are trying to run.

tviz21
8 - Asteroid

Thank you both, I will look into the analytics app, could be what I'm looking for!

Labels