Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Prioritization Using "Group" in Summarize Tool

crazybeauti_ful
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Does prioritization work in Summarize tool? I have 4 parameters to consider to sum a value; I tried this order - "group by" A, B, D, "max" C, "sum" value. I thought it worked fine but when I used the same logic to thousands of data, apparently "max" C is not considered. The values end up getting summed as long as A, B, D are satisfied.

samesamedifferentsame sumif
ABCDValueExpectation
aabbccdddd1010
abbccd1010
aaabcd1010
aabbcccdd1020
aabbccdd1020
aaabbbccddd1020
aaabbbcccddd1020
aabbccddd1010

Appreciate your help.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @crazybeauti_ful,

You are correct in that Max C is not considered as it is not a grouping or a filter, but returning the highest value that meets the criteria above it.  All the amounts in the Value field are still there after the Group Bys.  What you want to do is filter by the Max C after the Group By A, B, and D.  If you use the same Summarize tool but do not include Sum Value it will give you the filter as an output.  Joining this back to the original data gives you effectively a filter on the J output.

Group By Summarize.png

crazybeauti_ful
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, @T_Willins however, I don't get the sum results that I need for those with 20 in the 'expectation' column  😞

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

HI @crazybeauti_ful,

I think the problem is, that the summarize tool will only sum it up when the value in c is max. Here is a little workaround.

grossal_0-1585551058335.png

Workflow attached. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Best 

Alex

crazybeauti_ful
8 - Asteroid

@grossal thank you so much!!

Labels