Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Power BI Output tool unable to connect

lobal
7 - Meteor

We have been unable to output data to PowerBi using the Alteryx Power BI Output tool. We are using Alteryx version 2019.2.7.63499 with the Power BI Output tool. Workspace, dataset and table have been defined as well as setting up the credentials for Client ID, Client secret using persist credentials and create new dataset options. I have been testing this using a small data set from a workflow.

The workflow correctly pulls the small data set, but we can't get the Power BI Output to write the dataset to the selected workspace. I have also tried selecting "MyWorkspace" as the old documentation for the Alteryx indicated output had been limited to the default MyWorkspace. This has not worked either. The final line of the traceback error keeps referring to a datetime error no matter which workflow we test:

Sdk.FieldType.date: lambda ref: datetime.datetime.strptime(field.get_as_string(ref), DATE_FORMAT),TypeError: strptime() argument 1 must be str, not None

Any help on troubleshooting the connection issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Lorie

6 REPLIES 6
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@lobal I am not sure about that error. I personally like using the older version of the tool, it prompts you to log into your workfspace when running the workflow. It also has the ClientID/Secret authentication as well.

Here's the link - http://downloads.alteryx.com/Tools/PublishToPowerBI_v1.0.0.yxi

Let me know if this helps!

Digan
Alteryx
lobal
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, that is not an option. It took weeks to get IT approval for installation of the tool. We don't have that kind of flexibility to jump between versions.

DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@lobal I see, could you please send an email to support about this issue? They would be able to help you troubleshoot further. 

Digan
Alteryx
lobal
7 - Meteor

The solution was worked out with an Alteryx product engineer. The solution requires editing a line in the Power_bi_output file in the Alteryx installed programs folder. Under Tools -->Power_bi_output -->Lib --> Site-packages -->Urllib3.

At the bottom of the file where it says "verifiedHTTPSconnection1se" you delete the word "verified", an no other white space. 

Any Workflows that already have the PowerBI Output connector in them need to have the connector removed from them and then replaced after this fix is made. This is what worked for us. 

wolfgangh
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

just saw the post and have the same error. Which file are you actually referring to? There are quite a few and none has the line.

Thanks

amc77
5 - Atom

Was anyone able to advise which file needs to be edited?  I have navigated to the urllib3 folder as indicated in the suggested fix but there are multiple .py files and I do not see that any of them has the line noted for the fix?

Labels