Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

PNG with transapernt color - Problem to render PDF

Mika_IONE
7 - Meteor

Hi, anyone know if its possible to use PNGs with transparent colors when rendering PDFs? I works fine for excel/word but not for PDF files.

thanks in advance

Mika

8 REPLIES 8
Mika_IONE
7 - Meteor

Forgot to specify the error. Render 3 is the PDF im trying to create.

3.JPG

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Mika_IONE,

I tried this .png image with a transparent background and was able to render to both a Temporary PDF and a regular PDF:Image

Is there perhaps something else about this image that is giving you trouble? Do you get the same error when trying out the image I linked?

Cheers,

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
Mika_IONE
7 - Meteor

Hi and thanks for the reply!

The image does work when rendering to PDF but unfortunately the background comes out black and not transparent.

I've attached my workflow with the images in the workflow. The browse, png and docx comes out fine but not the PDF. It's somehow related to rendering the PDF and intepreting the alphachannel.

kind regards

Mika

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

I see your issue with the black background. I looked into it more and it seems like it is a known issue with the reporting tools. Out dev team has recieved feedback, but as of now there is not an ETA on a fix for this.

In the meantime, it seems users have had success with importing these images in as another Image file type. I would also suggest looking into the Render tool to "convert" from a PNG with a transparent background, to a PNG with a white/etc. background, although I am not sure if that would exactly work in your situation. 

Check out the help documentation for more information on Rendering to a PDF and changing the background color.

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
BPurcell2
9 - Comet

I'm not sure if this is the same issue.  I'm attempting to create a reporting using an image from a website, it will be dynamic so I'm downloading the image as part of the workflow.   Along the workflow, when I browse to view the report snippet, I can see it fine.

However, when I attempt to render the completed layout, the I get an error -- Unable to find file -"c:\....\image.png", directories searched:""

I can render the file as a composer file, but even then when I attempt to save as another file type it errors out with the same message.  I'm using 2013.3

Thanks.

EEdLoh
8 - Asteroid

@Mika_IONE I opened the png in MS Paint and filled the transparent surfaces with white as a workaround until the issue can be fixed in the engine.

lwolfie
10 - Fireball

Was this ever solved?  I'm working on a bingo card generator for some Alteryx tools as the images.  The interface tools are causing me problems. I don't get an error but it does come out black.

vizay_jadhav
5 - Atom

We are using Alteryx 2022.1 but seems this issue is still not addressed.

Labels