Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output multiple files to different excel tabs

alexandramannerings
8 - Asteroid

Hi! Is there a reasonable way to export mutliple Alteryx outputs into the same excel file under different tabs? I found this explanation (http://community.alteryx.com/Data-Blending/In-Out/Output-different-files-to-multiple-tabs-in-an-Exce...) but it doesn't work for me (Plus even if it did I really don't like the "table" function because I loose all my decimal points and have to go in one by one to my 60 fields and change it to include multiple decimal points). Any thoughts?

25 REPLIES 25
ChadM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hello!

We actually have another module in the community that demonstrates how to do this using the Output Data Tool:

http://community.alteryx.com/AlteryxArticle?id=kA0E00000000Vy7KAE

This method will use the "Change File/Table Name" functionality within the Output Data Tool to update and output to individual Excel tabs under the same workbook.

Thanks!
alexandramannerings
8 - Asteroid
I don't think I was clear enough in my question-- I want to be able to to have TWO different data sources go into teh same excel file, each under their own tab. Does that make sense? So, I have a fork in my Alteryx stream, and currently have two different outputs, which right now have to go into two different excel documents. I want them to go into the same excel document, but with different sheets. The data are in different structures, with different fields, etc. The example you shared has data from a single stream being divided by a variable field.
Ned
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
This shouldn't be an issue.  You will need a BlockUntilDone tool in front of each output tool to make sure its not trying to write both ata once.
jmoney
5 - Atom
So, if I have multiple inputs and union them together then split them on the common field, I get each group in a tab, but it forces every tab to the same layout. I had a process in Alteryx 8.6 where for each file stream i used the table tool and grouped on my common field, then a layout tool that grouped each set of records on my common field with orientation Vertical with section breaks.  I unioned all of my Layout outputs together and then used the render tool and output to a file.  it would then create an excel file with multiple tabs and the tabs would be named based on my common field.  In the version 9, the file still creates the distinct tabs but now it has generic names sheet1, sheet2, etc.  

I need to retain the unique layouts for each file and name each of the tabs based on my common field.  Any thoughts? 

MikeN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @jmoney - I think this should help you...(just change the output to point to your own drive)

azael_cuevas
5 - Atom

Hi @MikenN, I tried this solution and was ok, but when I ran with my outputs I had this error

"Output Data (193) Unable to make final write to C:\Users\cuevasaz\Desktop\XXXXX\Collection\PROYECTOS COLLECTION\Nuevos proyectos\Reportes ALTERYX\Publico\OutputtoDifferentTabs.xlsx, Error Win32 Error 1175"

My file (,xlxs) has 3 sheets and the error send me only in the 3rd sheet

Can you hepl me please?

MikeN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @azael_cuevas  - can you provide some screenshots of the workflow?

NataliaR
5 - Atom
Worked for me!!!
Emanuelis
7 - Meteor
Thanks a lot for this example. Do you have any clue how this can be turned into a macro?
Labels