Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output Date to Excel in Excel Date Format

rrafferty2
8 - Asteroid

Hi All:

How do I output a date in Excel Date format from String format.

I used an Alteryx formula to change from yyyymmdd to mm/dd/yyyy which is displays and outputs as a string.  I need to convert to a filter for  real dates as shown in column D.

I tried data cleansing tool and changing to date type in select tool, but did not work, shows as null.  I am sure solution is changing the data type somewhere in workflow, I think.

I attached output sample.

Thanks

rrafferty2_0-1590006687438.png

4 REPLIES 4
mattreynolds
9 - Comet

Alteryx is pretty particular about the ISO format of strings to be converted to dates. 

This formula did the trick: todate(left([Original Date],4)+"-"+substring([Original Date],4,2)+"-"+Substring([Original Date],6,2))

Example workflow is attached. If this helps, please mark as solution. If not, happy to revise!

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @rrafferty2 ,

Please refer to the screenshot as it will be the easiest way to get the desired output by using date time tool.

grazitti_sapna_0-1590062258520.png

Sapna Gupta
rrafferty2
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, a good alternative solution

Robb

tonysavio
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @grazitti_sapna,

I am facing something slightly different.

I have a field which has date datatype in Alteryx workflow. And it is coming to Excel through Render tool as number. The end user is telling me that he needs the date in dd-MM-YYYY format. Even when I convert the string format, its coming to excel as number and hence he is not able to filter based on year or month.

But when I enter the date manually, it quickly changes to date type and I am able to filter based on year for that date.

Please help if you know how to sort this out.

tonysavio_0-1638999829884.png

Is there any way we can get the dates coming from Alteryx to be filtered based on year and month as in the example on this original question?

Thanks,

Tony

Labels