Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Option to NOT remove browse tools when running a debug

erik
5 - Atom

Could there be an option or checkbox added, possibly in the canvas menu or something like that, where I could tell Designer to RETAIN all browses when creating a debug module?

Currently, when running a debug, ALL browses are removed from the resulting debug module. This is HIGHLY inefficient (for me anyways) since I generally have a bunch of browses in place exactly where I want to see the resultant data as I'm debugging.... So, every single time I iterate and run a new debug, I have to go back through and add all of the browses back in where I need them. Sometimes this is only a handful, but often this is 10, 20+ browses in a larger module and wastes far to much of my time.

7 REPLIES 7
ashiques
8 - Asteroid
Yes there is an option where you can Disable All Browse tool in the module. You can check that in below image. It is in Module Properties.

I think this will be helpful.
erik
5 - Atom
I feel like you may have missed the point of my suggestion, ashiques. I don't want to disable browses, I want to prevent them from being removed, wholesale, when I run a debug of an analytic app or macro app, via the interface designer.
BenG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Erik,

I believe our solution for adding browse data after every tool without the need for Browse tools should resolve this issue and make debugging easier.  This will be available starting with the 10.0 release.  Look for more information at our Inspire conference later this year.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Ben
erik
5 - Atom
Sounds great! I won't be able to attend this year, but I look forward to the 10.0 release. Thanks for the update!
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Not sure why, but just got notified about the original post and thought I would mention a couple hot keys that some people don't know about much...

The new functionality in 10.5 for the Browse Results that @BenG mentions is great, but just an FYI...if you still want to have the Browse Tool itself, and you have a lot of them you want to add, sometimes a more efficient way is to click in the canvas, hit CTRL-A, and then CTRL-SHIFT-B. 

That selects ALL of the tools on the canvas and then adds a Browse Tool to each one that is selected. (Or you can drag across the tools you need Browse tools after and do the same thing.)

jpoz
Alteryx
Alteryx

Another way to get it to not delete your Browse tools:

• Go to the Interface Designer
  • Click on the wrench (Properties)
  • Make sure 'On Success - Show Results to User' is checked
  • In the 'Open Files From These Tools' section, check any of the Browse tools you want it to retain in the debug workflow
RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@jpoz, another "not-wasted day" because I learned something new!

Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Labels