Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Null to Empty

erin_kotch
5 - Atom

I have a numeric field created by a formula.  For many records, that formula results in a NULL. Ultimately in my CSV output, I want those NULLs to be EMPTY.  I can use Impute to convert NULL to zeros, but not seeing how to convert them to EMPTY.

Thank you for suggestions!

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

How about a formula:

IIF(ISNULL([My_Field]),'',[My_Field])

That's what I'd use.

P.S.  Then the field will need to be a STRING, but that won't be an issue if you are outputting to CSV.  You'd need a SELECT before the formula to change the type.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
erin_kotch
5 - Atom

I wish that worked!  The browse shows EMPTY but the CSV output is zeros.

BTW - the P.S. to your post did teach me something, so even though it didn't work here, you definitely helped me on something down the road!  Thanks!

@MarqueeCrew wrote:

How about a formula:

IIF(ISNULL([My_Field]),'',[My_Field])

That's what I'd use.

P.S.  Then the field will need to be a STRING, but that won't be an issue if you are outputting to CSV.  You'd need a SELECT before the formula to change the type.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Erin,

Have fun at the Alteryx User's Group meeting today!

The final soltuion was very close...

IIF(ISNULL([My_Field]) || [My_Field] == '0','',[My_Field])

:) Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ssjl
8 - Asteroid

Forgive me for posting to an older thread; if running version 10.6 or later use the Data Cleansing tool (Preparation).

Labels