Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

No sheet Specified, You must Specify a Sheet

linwk
6 - Meteoroid

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to download this excel file off the internet, but it seems like I cant use the Dynamic input for some reason. I've tried the solutions that I found on some other topic but its not working. Can someone please help me out!

Thank you 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Hi linwk,

I think the issue you're having is that the size of the Filename field is too small and therefore missing the |||<List of sheet names> part. Just add a Select tool before the Formula tool and increase the size of Filename so that you're getting the correct value going into the the Dynamic Input tool.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Josh

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hi @linwk,

Your Filename column is being truncated when you try to add the sheet name to it:

Capture.PNG

This happens when it reads the column in from the Text Input tool; Alteyrx auto-determines what it thinks will be the best field size for the column. To remedy this, just add a select tool and change the size to a more appropriate one:

Captur2.PNG

Additionally, you need to amend your formula to the following string:

[Filename] + "|||<List of Sheet Names>"

Alteryx won't recognise "List of Sheet Names" unless "Sheet" and "Names" are in proper case.

Sam 🙂

linwk
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Joshua,

It works fine now. Thank you very much. Another question though, if i'm trying to get say <Table 2> in the excel file, does the same method apply? I tried doing it but now it says it does not match a sheet or named range is corrupt

linwk
6 - Meteoroid

Hi SamDesk,

I tried to get one of the Tabs Named Table 2 using the same method, but it doesnt seem to work, what could be the issue here? I have attached the new workflow! 

SamDesk
11 - Bolide

Hi @linwk,

You need to change your Dynamic Input Tool to "Change Entire File Path"

Capture.PNG

Sam 🙂

linwk
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your prompt reply! Have a nice day!

Labels