Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

New Alteryx user, need help with Append Fields Tool

GurmeharSodhi
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am currently managing a large dataset that displays financials of companies of multiple industries. One of the things I want to do is compare the median industry financial data point against each individual company in that industry. I used the summarize tool to output all the medians. However, when I use the Append Fields tool to combine the original dataset and the Summarize tool output, it gives me duplicates. Essentially it is not matching the company to the correct industry median, it is just outputting all industry medians. So if I have 7 industries, each company now has 7 records instead of a single record with the appropriate industry. Everything but the median values are duplicates. 

How can I solve this issue?

Thanks so much in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @GurmeharSodhi sounds like you need to use a join tool to combine the original dataset and summarise tool output.

PaceParillo
7 - Meteor

Append fields operates like a cross-join or full join, so each record of both data sets are repeated for each record of the other set.  A join tool allows you to link the summarized average with the corresponding industry.  Something like this:

Summarize-Join.PNG

GurmeharSodhi
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
You were right! I used Join tool, used specific field to match the industry entries and got what I wanted.
Labels