Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need help with subtraction

John_da
5 - Atom

How do i subtract comma as thousand seperator

2 REPLIES 2
RogerA
8 - Asteroid

I've managed to do it, but my solution is far from optimal as i'm sure some clever regex would be able to do this simply.  This works for this specific example but on a large dataset i think there would be more problems as this solution assumes column A only has commas in.

My solution is attached, hopefully its of use and will give you some ideas for doing it better than i can!

kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @John_da

What is actually being used as thousands and what as decimal separator in your original data? A seems to be using a comma for decimals and B a full stop. Is that really the case?

The easiest way to get around this is to just use a replace formula. You want to ensure that your numbers have no thousands separator and a full stop as decimal separator. Eg: 12345.66

You can then convert that to a number format with no problems and do your calculations.

If both A and B are the same format then you can also use a multifield formula and convert the data type in the same step.

Labels