Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple email address columns all in "To" field in email

Eva_A_Garcia
5 - Atom

I have a report with multiple columns containing email addresses.

Email address for Person Reponsible, Approver #1, Approver #2, and Approver #3.

How would I get all email address columns in one "To" field in the email tool? I have at least 3 different email address columns and do not want to put these fields in the "CC" field or in the "BCC" field.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi Eve

You can have multiple emails in the same field if they are separated by a semicolon. 

E.g. name@domain.com; othername@domain.com

You can use a formula tool to create a single string field with all of your email addresses, then use this as the 'To' input:

E.g. [Person Responsible] + ";" + [Approver1] + ";" + [Approver2]

Eva_A_Garcia
5 - Atom

Can you tell me how to combine all email columns into one to be able to remove duplicated email addresses? I'm trying to reduce the number of emails sent, because some emails can be listed in multiple columns in my spreadsheet.

For example: (in this scenario, four emails will be sent out for each row - I would like just one email to John Doe and one to Jane Doe; make sense?)

Person Responsible Approver1Approver2
JohnDoe@company.comJaneDoe@company.com 
JaneDoe@company.com  
JaneDoe@company.comJohnDoe@company.com 
JohnDoe@company.com  

salbol1
8 - Asteroid

You would do it with a cross tab tool. First filter out that column for Empty or Nulls, create a "To" field with the combination of a Text Input tool with a column you name "To" and fill in the value as "To" as well. Append this to your data so each corresponding email has a field with "To" in it like this -

salbol1_1-1636741134617.png

Setup cross tab like this, note that the concatenate delimiter is "; " - a semicolon and a space afterwards. Make sure you're aware of the size of that created field. It defaults to 2048 characters and will truncate after that. There also is a maximum of addresses you can put into the To, Cc, and Bcc spaces, but that will be determined based on the size for each email address, and will take some trial and error to see that you can load that wtih 50, 60, etc addresses before the smtp client will start truncating that field on its own. 

salbol1_0-1636740936759.png

Now, use that "To" field as a dynamically created email list in your email tool:

salbol1_2-1636741324243.png

Now you have your dynamic email address setup.

Labels