Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple Reporting tool outputs to one excel

ftorruella1
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I need to output a table and chart from reporting tools to the same excel workbook on different sheets. Is there a way to do this through the rendering or output tools? Or another tool?

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

There is! 

The trick is to use a Layout tool to set up before the Render tool. The only problem with naming sheets is that you cannot control the order of sheets -- they will be output in alphabetic order no matter the input order. I suggest keeping this in mind while naming your sheets if order is a concern. For example: "1-Summary","2-2018 Results", "3-2017 Results","4-Appendix", etc.

In the Layout tool:

- Set the mode to "Each Group of Records" and select your sheet name field to group by

- Configure the orientation to "Vertical with Section Breaks". The section breaks are used as sheet breaks when outputting to an Excel file.

- Set the sheet name field in the "Section Name" field that appears at the bottom. 

In the Render tool:

- Set the separator to "Insert Section Breaks Between Records" to use those sheet breaks you set in the Layout tool.

Check out the attached example and let me know if you have any questions. 

ftorruella1
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks! The union is what i was missing, but can i have the render tool render to different sheets based on grouping on the same excel file?

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ftorruella1 wrote:

...can i have the render tool render to different sheets based on grouping on the same excel file?

That's what that workflow shows how to do. If there's something specific you're stuck on, post a sample workflow and I'm sure we can get it worked out for you. 

EleanorJarvis
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie,

I saw this response and it is like something that I am trying to achieve. The difference is that I have a summary sheet that is in a different report layout to the rest of the tabs in my Excel output. Is it possible to have outputs that are rendered in different formats in the same Excel workbook? Thanks!

Labels