Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Move Data From Merged Columns and Repeat In Rows

CGIQV
8 - Asteroid

Here is an example of the report I can pull:

EDIT: After posting I realized the merged columns did not come through.  The "FRUIT: xxxx" cells are merged across all of the data headers in the report:

Fruit: APPLES  

random data

more random data

Account NumberCode Total
10000x100
10001y500
10002z200
10003s200
10004a250

Fruit: PEARS  
other random data  

Account NumberCodeTotal
10000 y854
 10005 n12

I want to be able to create a column all the way to the left from the "Fruit: xxxx" merged data.  It should end up looking like this:

FruitAccount NumberCode Total
Apples10000x100
Apples10001y500
Apples10002z200
Apples10003s200
Apples10004a250
Pears10000 y854
Pears 10005 n12

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @CGIQV 

I started out with a Multi-Row Formula tool to identify the fruit value and then keep repeating it until another fruit value was found, After some clean up of values and unnecessary rows, I went about identifying the header rows. I did this by looking for duplicated values in the non-numeric fields. This is just one example that works in this case, so other methods might be necessary in other scenarios. Finally, I used a Dynamic Rename tool to apply those field names and used a Select tool to re-order the fields for the final result.

Check out the example solution attached to see this in action.

CGIQV
8 - Asteroid

Worked as advertised.

Thanks!

Abbey_Kay
5 - Atom

Hi I have a similar issue, but it is a bit more complex. I am not able to identify the "fruit" (in my case the customer number & name) like you were able to do here since it does not specifically say anything before it. How could I do this? I also want to pull item code, description and salesperson and unit of measure to another column. So it would look like the attached file.

Labels