Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Month Year String to Date?

TheRhino
6 - Meteoroid

I have two columns of data with date information - one Double, with year, and another Double, with Month

I have created another column with Month in String format so I have that as well

I've been able to create a combined String column by converting the Year into String and using the expression [Month]+"-"+[String Year]

I cannot figure out how to convert this to a date field using the DateTimeParse formula

Is there another combination of double/string values I should be using? What other conversions do I need to do?

I've read every help page of time/date to no avail!

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
TheRhino
6 - Meteoroid

One more issue now (corrected the % positioning!)

Now, only some of the dates convert and others do not... Why is this?

Capture.PNG

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Did you change to a capital 'B'?

TheRhino
6 - Meteoroid

YES thank you!!!! I should have posted here first before wrestling with the formulations. 

Anuashka
5 - Atom

Hello ,

I am facing a similar problem in alteryx. I have a String field in the format 082009 which is the month and year of payment. I am trying to convert this into a date format. I am using the formula as below but I get a null field as a result with conversion errors. 

DateTimeParse([Payment_Date],'%m, %Y')

RodL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It needs to have a "day" in order to assign the full date.

Try something like...

DateTimeParse('01' + [Payment_Date], "%d%m%Y")

...which will default it to the first day of the month.

tmvg
6 - Meteoroid

I have read the existing posts and tried everything I could think of but failed so far. Please help.

My date string looks like "JAN 2017".  I tried DateTimeParse([MyDateString], "%m %Y") but get an error.

The error message reads, 'Month number is out of range 1..12'.

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@tmvg

If you are attempting to format this into a numbered date, you will want to use DateTimeParse([MyDateString],"%B %Y"). The result will be 2017.01.01. You can find all of the date function here for reference under the Specifiers section https://help.alteryx.com/2018.1/index.htm#Reference/DateTimeFunctions.htm

tmvg
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, DanM.

Yes, I am trying to format it into Date. I tried what you suggested but I still get the same error. I don't understand what is wrong.....

I will keep on trying. Thanks again.

JanaZ
7 - Meteor

Hi RodL,

I have a date 201909, need to convert to 30/09/2019, how can I do it?

thanks

Jana

Labels