Alteryx Designer

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Register for the upcoming Live Community Q&A Session - and don't forget to submit your questions for @DeanS regarding the future role of analytics here.

Merging pdf Files into separate folders

Highlighted
5 - Atom

This may be a long shot but I felt like I may as well ask it here.

I have multiple Alteryx workflows that produce a ton (1,500+) pdf outputs.  Currently all of these files from the different workflows are exported from Alteryx to a single 'Output' folder.

What I'm hoping to be able to do is to then run an Alteryx workflow to reorganize these files. Additionally, all PDF files need to remain separate, it would just be ideal to have them grouped in folders based on partial file name.

CURRENT OUTPUT FORMAT

OUTPUT FOLDER

• Location1_Chart1.pdf
  • Location1_Chart2.pdf
  • Location1_Chart3.pdf
  • Location2_Chart1.pdf
  • Location2_Chart2.pdf
  • Location2_Chart3.pdf
  • Location3_Chart1.pdf
  • Location3_Chart2.pdf
  • Location3_Chart3.pdf

Once all of the outputs have been created in a single Output folder, I would then love to be able to create a new workflow that would sort these 5,000+ pdf documents into folders within the Output folder based on partial file name.

IDEAL OUTPUT FORMAT

OUTPUT FOLDER

• Location1 Folder
    • Location1_Chart1.pdf
    • Location1_Chart2.pdf
    • Location1_Chart3.pdf
  • Location2 Folder
    • Location2_Chart1.pdf
    • Location2_Chart2.pdf
    • Location2_Chart3.pdf
  • Location3 Folder
    • Location3_Chart1.pdf
    • Location3_Chart2.pdf
    • Location3_Chart3.pdf

If you have any input or ideas on how to solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.  Additionally, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Highlighted
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hello @sbyrnes 

I believe you can use - Directory tool to get the list of all the PDF files and then trim the name of the location (By summarizing it) that you would like to create as a folder.

This posts provide a great tip on how to create a folder using Alteryx.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/How-to-create-a-dynamic-output-folder/...

Please let me know if this helps

Labels