Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching column data to add a new column for entity name

calvinwong
7 - Meteor

Hi,

If I have the following data,

Column1

"A2"

"ADS3"

"AFE9_2"

"BAD9_3" 

and I'm trying to use a formula tool to add another column to match them to the entity code. I tried to use iff(contain([column 1], "2", 'XYZ', iff(contain([column 1], "3", "ABC", iff(contain([column 1], "9_2", "ERF", "DFS"))). However, given 9_2 also contain a 2, the formula doesn't work. Is there another way to write a formula so that it can return the correct entity name?

4 REPLIES 4
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi @calvinwong

There are a couple of things you need to update in your formula:

1. update your iff to iif function

2. update your contain to contains function

3. you need to add an ending bracket for the contains function

4. for the conditional statement,  you could simply arrange your nested if conditions. The rule of thumb is always put the more restricted conditional statement (i.e. the condition that is more difficult to matched, e.g '9_2' is more difficult to match than '2') first.

Below should work:

iif(contains([column 1], "9_2"), "ERF", iif(contains([column 1], "2"), 'XYZ', iif(contains([column 1], "3"), "ABC",  "DFS")))

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Regex_Replace([field1],"(\u+)(\d.*)",'$1|$2')

That will get you something easy to parse. You'll have an easy time joining to your search terms.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
calvinwong
7 - Meteor

Thanks Mark. That was helpful. Much easier to parse.

I'm trying to learn more and understand about the regex expressions. Is there a good site or place that you recommend?

Thanks,

Calvin 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
You'll find KB articles here and if you check YouTube "RegEx Marqueecrew Alteryx" you'll find more of my content.

I like regex101.com as an outside resource. Introducing Regular Expressions by Michael Fitzgerald is a textbook resource that I've purchased.

Cheers,

Mark
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels