Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Manipulating and splitting Data into additional row.

JLEE038
7 - Meteor

Hi all - I have consolidated my data into a single source. However, I would like to manipulate and split the data provided by the supplier into individual months: 

- Currently different supplier sent the data in different format. I am facing difficulty in splitting the data into additional row. Any suggestion on how I could manipulate the data ? Thanks ! 

For Supplier B - I could think of splitting the months after each ","  >> thereafter do a count  >>and divide the quantity by the count > Then split into individual row. 

For Supplier A - Facing difficulty to split the data into individual months as they provided data from start to end of month. 

Current Raw Data : 

QuantityTerm Supplier
50002020-07-01

to

2020-09-30 
A
10002020-04-01

to

2020-04-30 
A
15000Jul 20, Aug 20, Sep 20B

Trying to manipulate date to : 

Supplier A : To split the data for Supplier A to individual Month - Qty remain the same 

QuantityTermSupplier
50002020-07-01A
50008/1/2020A
50009/30/2020A

For Supplier B : To split Data for supplier into individual month ( Total Quantity will have to be divided by the number of months split )

- Per example above raw data comes in a total qty for 3 months. I would like to split data into individual rows with qty divided by the number of months that was split. 

QuantityTermSupplier
500020-JulB
50008/20/2020B
50009/20/2020B
4 REPLIES 4
Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Hi @JLEE038

You may want to Filter Suppliers A & B into separate streams, then parse to isolate your data points and perform your calculations:

3.PNG

JLEE038
7 - Meteor

Thanks very much  Aaron ! It works for Supplier B !

For Supplier A, I would like to break down the order to individual months / row. To help to achieve this, I have add an additional column "Order" so that I could have a unique identifier for each "Order". 

- For Order 1 : The input Term is 2020-07-01 to 2020-10-30 ( This would meant the order is for the month of July, Aug, Sept and Oct 2020)

- For Order 2 : The input Term is 2020-04-01 to 2020-04-30 ( This would represent the order is for the month of April 2020 )

Could you advise if there is a loop function within Alteryx ? My idea to break down the data to the Individual row  to achieve the Ideal Result as per table follow :

- If Order and DateTime_Out2 repeats, it will delete one of the row. ( Hence, I will be able to obtain 1 order row for April )

- Else  > Breakdown DateTime_Out2 to two column MM ( First two number from DateTime_Out2 ) and YYYY ( Last 4 umber from DateTime_Out2 )

- Filter for Order and Use a formula to deduct the difference between the MM then minus 1  ( Eg: 10 -7-1= 2) - Create a new column "n"

- Then use a loop function and add "n" to the smallest number in MM for each Order until n reaches 0>> 7+2 =9, then 7+1=8 and create two additional row 

Would you be able to advise how to implement the above idea or is there a better way to execute it  ? Trying to figure out how to do a loop function within Alteryx. 

Ideally -The end result will be  like the below table : 

Ideal Result : 

QuantitySupplierUnique IdentifierMonth/Year
5000AOrder 1072020
5000AOrder 1082020
5000AOrder 1092020
5000AOrder 1102020
1000AOrder 2042020

Did some modification to your code - But stucked at this stage : Alteryx.PNG

Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

Hi @JLEE038

Happy to hear the logic for supplier B worked!  For supplier A, I've dropped in some new logic to create entries for each date in each order, then Summarize to create the desired output format:

update.PNG

JLEE038
7 - Meteor

Hi Aaron,

I have finally manged to try out the new logic, it works ! Albeit a wee bit late, I am really grateful of your input !

First time I am exposed to the generate rows function, it's really interesting ! Sry quite raw in Alteryx. 

Labels