Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Mallformed If Statement using a Multi-Row Formula

gregddowns
5 - Atom

I keep getting a Malformed If Statement error for the below function. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

IF ISNULL([DEBIT]) THEN IF ISNULL([CREDIT]) THEN "" ELSE

IF CONTAINS([Account],"Total") THEN "" ELSE

IF ISNULL([Row-2:DEBIT]) THEN IF ISNULL([Row-2:Credit]) THEN IF ISNULL([Row-1:Debit]) THEN IF ISNULL([Row-1:Credit]) THEN [Row-2:Account] ELSE

IF ISNULL([Row-1:Debit]) THEN IF ISNULL([Row-1:Credit]) THEN

IF ISNULL([Row-2:Iteration #1]) THEN IF ISNULL([Row-1:Iteration #1]) THEN [Row-3:Iteration #1] ELSE

IF ISNULL([Row-1:Iteration #1]) THEN [Row-1:Account] ELSE

[Row-1:Iteration #1] ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF ELSE ELSE ELSE ELSE ELSE ELSE ELSE ELSE ELSE [Row-1:Iteration #1] ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF ENDIF

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

IF

ISNULL([DEBIT]) AND ISNULL([CREDIT]) THEN "" ELSEIF CONTAINS([Account],"Total") THEN "" ELSEIF 

ISNULL([Row-2:DEBIT]) AND ISNULL([Row-2:Credit]) AND ISNULL([Row-1:Debit]) AND ISNULL([Row-1:Credit]) THEN [Row-2:Account] ELSEIF ISNULL([Row-1:Debit]) AND ISNULL([Row-1:Credit]) AND ISNULL([Row-2:Iteration #1]) AND ISNULL([Row-1:Iteration #1]) THEN [Row-3:Iteration #1]

ELSEIF ISNULL([Row-1:Iteration #1]) THEN [Row-1:Account]

ELSE

[Row-1:Iteration #1]

ENDIF

Does that work?

Cheers,

mark 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
gregddowns
5 - Atom

Thank you for your response. Your solution is close but not quite there. What I am trying to do it convert the below excel formula into a multi-row formula in alteryx but I am struggling with it. The formula is in cell D8 and the data in column A are "Account", in column B are "Debit", and in column C "Credit", and in column D I am trying to add this formula and name it "Iteration #1". See attached file that I have cleaned. The formula that I am working on is in cell D8 but I will be trying to recreate the formulas in columns D - I to automate this process. Please let me know if there are any questions regarding the file.

IF(AND(ISBLANK(B8),ISBLANK(C8)),"",IF(IFERROR(FIND("Total",A8),0)>0,"",IF(AND(ISBLANK(B6),ISBLANK(C6),ISBLANK(B7),ISBLANK(C7)),A6,IF(AND(ISBLANK(B7),ISBLANK(C7)),IF(AND(D6="",D7=""),D5,IF(D7="",A7,D7)),D7))))

ashissanpui
9 - Comet

that error is coming because your ELSE-IF syntax.

* ELSEIF is continuation of previous IF statement

* ELSE IF is a start of new IF statement so you need to close this with ENDIF

Please try to model your syntax accordingly.

Regards,

AShis

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @gregddowns ,

translated to Alteryx, your Excel formula would be:

IF ISEMPTY([Debit]) AND ISEMPTY([Credit]) THEN
''
ELSE
IF CONTAINS([Account],'Total') THEN
''
ELSE
IF ISEMPTY([Row-2:Credit]) AND ISEMPTY([Row-2:Debit]) AND ISEMPTY([Row-1:Debit]) AND ISEMPTY([Row-1:Credit]) THEN
[Row-2:Account]
ELSE
IF ISEMPTY([Row-1:Debit]) AND ISEMPTY([Row-1:Credit]) THEN
IF ISEMPTY([Row-1:Result]) AND ISEMPTY([Row-2:Result]) THEN
[Row-3:Result]
ELSEIF ISEMPTY([Row-1:Result]) THEN
[Row-1:Account]
ELSE
[Row-1:Result]

ENDIF

ELSE
[Row-1:Result]