Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macros Disappear

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Experts - 

I imported a set of macros some of our consultants put together to run their workflows, however when I fire up Alteryx each morning they seem to have disappeared overnight and I need to reimport.  The location of the macros is on a shared drive and it does not change. 

If I close and reopen Alteryx on the same day they are still there, as you would expect.      

Any idea what the problem is?

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

How are you importing the macros? I assume you are importing from a .yxzp file, which actually creates a new folder when you import/unzip the file. The macros would remain inside of that folder. 

Are the macros pointing to the shared drive in the workflow? If not, that could be the issue. I suggest the developer make the macros into tools by creating a .yxi file. Essentially, the macro will be installed to your tool pallet. See below for instructions: 

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2017/10/05/create-share-alteryx-tool-installer-yxi-file/ 

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

They are still pointing to the shared drive but are saved as .yxmc files.  Is that a problem?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Bonediggler ,

Of course it is a long shot, but couldn't it be an IT process cleaning this specific folder. I once experienced something like that in a customer of ours and it is a thing to consider.

There isn't a native option in Alteryx that automatically erases workflows or macros from a folder.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Bonediggler
9 - Comet

Hi - it was actually due to the fact I had copied some workflows that were using relative dependencies.  Because I saved them in a different location, the path to the macro folder was broken.

Thanks for helping out!

Labels