Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Macro inside a macro error

MichalK
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I built a macro that calls other macros and I'm getting an error message when I try to run it:

macro setup.png

This says that tool #2 and tool #43 (which are macros inside this macro) require a control input, which is correct except the fact that the control input is defined - here's how the macro looks like inside:

macro_inside.pngSo as you can see, all the parameters in 'Questions' tab are set, and the macro works fine if I run it in developer mode.

I'm really puzzled why this is happening - would appreciate any tips on what could be going wrong!

Thanks,

Michal

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Check out the group by tab, is that configured appropriately?

Ben

MichalK
8 - Asteroid

I didn't set any grouping, I did not use that feature so far - what would be the proper setup?

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Try putting Select tools inside the macro right before the Macro outputs - it should force the metadata to propagate so it can 'find' the inputs

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The idea of a batch macro (which is what you have created here), is to process 'groups' of records one at a time, with the results then automatically unioned at the end.

The group by tab should represent the 'batch ID's in your data if you will. I.e. the field that defines the different subsets of data you wish to put through your macros.

Ben

MichalK
8 - Asteroid

@SophiaF wrote:

Try putting Select tools inside the macro right before the Macro outputs - it should force the metadata to propagate so it can 'find' the inputs

Thanks Sophia - I tried it but unfortunately it didn't help.

MichalK
8 - Asteroid

@BenMoss wrote:

The idea of a batch macro (which is what you have created here), is to process 'groups' of records one at a time, with the results then automatically unioned at the end.

The group by tab should represent the 'batch ID's in your data if you will. I.e. the field that defines the different subsets of data you wish to put through your macros.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the explanation. The data I'm passing to macro are set up to fit with the parameters so grouping is not needed (I'm testing with a single row input).

MichalK
8 - Asteroid

I managed to fix the error.

I replaced the macro input tool with a set of control parameters that update a static table - as on the screen:

macro_inside_rev.png

Labels