Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Load an Alteryx Template file when creating a new workflow

When we create new workflows, we like to have them in our company template, to stnadardise documentation. This makes it easier for a supervisor to review, and for a colleague to pick up the workflow and understand what is going on. For instance, we have all data input on the left, and all error checks and workflow validation on the right, and a section at the top with the workflow name, project name, purpose etc. We have a workflow that we use as a template with containers, boxes and images all in the appropriate places

It would be great if there was an option to select a workflow as a template. When a new workflow is opened, it would load this template rather than having a blank canvas.

16 Comments
cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

Definitely a great idea :) 

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This would be a great addition. It could be called a ".yxt" . Even just having the workflow configuration setting memorized for newly created workflows like the name, company, copyright, and description url (base url for the company site or Gallery).

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Suggested options:  Default mail server metadata!  

WillBowman
9 - Comet

I would love to see this implemented. I have been trying to set this up and right now have to settle for copy/paste of template.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

This is an interesting idea. I'll investigate. Thanks for submitting. 

DanielG
12 - Quasar

How do we learn about updates for things under review?  This template idea would be a huge help for our company when building out workflows that will ultimately live out on the Server. 

Thanks!!!

ken_yap_au
8 - Asteroid

For anyone looking for an intermediary solution, I've found that if you replace the Learning Guide, you can hack a workflow template that opens on launch (C:\Program Files\Alteryx\Samples\en\Learning Guide)

ephij
9 - Comet
Fantastic idea!
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Fully support this @Hugo  - this would be a good help.

JoepPaulusse
5 - Atom

I managed to get my own template when I start Alteryx by following these steps:

1. Create the template workflow and save it on your Desktop
  2. Open Alteryx and go to Options > User Settings > Edit User Settings
  3. Select the 'Default' tab and check 'Show Start Here at startup' and save the user settings
  4. Close Alteryx
  5. Start Alteryx again
  6. The Start Here workflow opens together with a New Workflow1
  7. Right-click on the Start Here workflow
  8. Click on ‘Open containing folder’
  9. Place your template in this folder (C:\Program Files\Alteryx\Samples\en\Start Here)
  10. You can delete the Start Here workflow (or place it in another folder) 

Note:
You cannot directly save files in this folder due to security reasons. Therefore we have to save it first on your desktop and then place it in this folder.
When you close Alteryx and start it again, it will open your template workflow and the New Workflow1.