Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Label date as current week or previous week

jark1294
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to set up a formula that will return a value that states whether the date of a line item is within the current week, previous week or none of the above. For example:

Week of 3/18/2019

Pulling data on 3/25/2019 (today's date at the time)

A line item with Day = 3/20/2019 would return "Current Week"

A line item with Day = 3/13/2019 would return "Previous Week"

A line item with 1/20/2019 would return "N/A"

I started with this formula but it isn't quite working. Anyone know??

if DateTimeDiff([Day],DateTimeToday(),'days') <= 7 THEN "Current Week" ELSEIF "No"

ENDIF

4 REPLIES 4
jark1294
7 - Meteor

Additional context - I'm creating this field to eventually be used in Power BI for a week over week formula

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jark1294. I have a few suggestions for ya here.

1) Your input dates are formatted "MM/DD/YYYY", but Alteryx date formulas will expect ISO8601 format, "YYYY-MM-DD". The first step is to convert the date with the following formula. The idea is that you're telling Alteryx to parse this into the standard format and you provide a guide of how it's formatted in the expression.

DateTimeParse([Day],"%m/%d/%Y")

2) The DateTimeDiff( expression will always perform a subtraction. In your formula, the result of <2019-03-20> - <2019-03-25> is -5. I don't think this was the value you were expecting. There are two options, use the absolute value with the abs( expression, or swap the dates in the formula. I prefer the absolute value method.

3) The IF statement syntax is IF <condition1> THEN <result1> ELSEIF <condition2> THEN <result2> ELSE <result3> ENDIF. In your formula, you should replace "ELSEIF" with just "ELSE". Beyond that, I added a second condition for the "Previous Week" result. 

Try this formula:

IF abs(DateTimeDiff(DateTimeParse([Day],"%m/%d/%Y"),DateTimeToday(),'days')) <= 7 THEN "Current Week"

ELSEIF (abs(DateTimeDiff(DateTimeParse([Day],"%m/%d/%Y"),DateTimeToday(),'days')) >=8
AND
abs(DateTimeDiff(DateTimeParse([Day],"%m/%d/%Y"),DateTimeToday(),'days')) <= 14)
THEN "Previous Week"

ELSE "N/A" ENDIF

Check out the attached example and let me know if this works for you. 

jark1294
7 - Meteor

Thanks @CharlieS ! I thought when i was typing the question that the way i was typing the dates might trip people up, should have clarified that was just an example.

I ended up with the following. Because we're starting with the current date i changed it to -7 and greater than, and same thing for next ones. I think it worked!

if DateTimeDiff([Day],DateTimeToday(),'days') >= -7 THEN "Current Week" ELSEIF

( DateTimeDiff([Day],DateTimeToday(),'days') <= -8

AND

DateTimeDiff([Day],DateTimeToday(),'days') >= -14)

THEN "Previous Week"

ELSE

"No"

ENDIF

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Are you sure you want to use DateTimeDiff, and not include logic to consider if dates cross over a weekend?

If you compare a Monday to a Friday with DateTimeDiff, you get 3 days.  Would you want Monday to be "current week" and Friday to be "previous week"?

DateTimeDiff("2019-03-25","2019-03-22","day") = 3

2019-03-25 = Monday

2019-03-22 = Friday

Labels