Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

KML output

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

I'm working on an app so any excel document with a lat/lon can be made into a KML document.  The one request was to always have the first column be the name of the location.  Now the name of the first column may change and I want to find a way to always use that first column whatever it's named.  How can I do that  when Name Field is looking for a specific name?  Tried a few things that didn't work.  Anyone?

KMLApp.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can use a dynamic rename to force the names of the columns to always be the same

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

column names.png

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!  But what if I don't want to change all of the header names?  Can I select out and change the first column header name to 'ID' and leave the rest as they were?  Was trying to do this but didn't have much luck. 

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes, I figured out the minor flaw in my statement just after posting it!

I'm now thinking using the field info tool, a sample tool (select 1st row) and an action tool to update the field name in your Output Data tool. Let me mock something up.

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Sure! I've used the Field Info tool and select tools but tried using dynamic rename after unioning them together.  Didn't work.  I did create a macro that I thought I could use with a interface tool but I couldn't output from the macro to the action tool.  Really interested to see what you come up with!   Thanks!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Something like this? If the name of the PROPID changes then you will have to change your filter tool as well.

input field name.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @brad_j_crep

@DavidP has an excellent solution, but here's one that's a little simpler

Use Dynamic select to rename only the first column and then join all columns back on record position

1st column rename.png

Dan

brad_j_crep
8 - Asteroid

Thank you David and Dan!  I have my solutions and things are looking good!  Appreciate the help from both of you!

Labels