Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Just finish what you've eaten so-far

Not sure if any of you have a similar issue - but we often end up bringing in some data (either from a website or a table) to profile it - and then an hour in, you realise that the data will probably take 6 weeks to completely ingest, but it's taken in enough rows already to give us a useful sense.

Right now, the only option is to stop (in which case all the profiling tools at the end of the flow will all give you nothing) and then restart with a row-limiter - or let it run to completion.   The tragedy of the first option is that you've already invested an hour or 2 in the data extract, but you cannot make use of this.

It feels like there's a third option - a option to "Stop bringing in new data - but just finish the data that you currently have", which terminates any input or download tools in their current state, and let's the remainder of the data flush through the full workflow.

Hopefully I'm not alone in this need 🙂

4 Comments
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

When I know this is a possibility, I use an Output tool to write to a .yxdb file. It will write to the file as it goes, and if I stop the process, it will have as much data as well pulled/processed up to that point. Then I rewire it to use that file as the Input.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's a clever way round this Joe - and also perhaps the key to how to implement?

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes

JMB001
8 - Asteroid

Since you can't see the data like the non-indb tooling in each tool, this is important when using the Browse In-DB tool. The killing of the Alteryx run kills the ability to view or export any of the data that was already processed. This would be a very nice feature.