Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join output blank

Dani1
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I have an excel file that I am trying to join. Currently it is on 2 tabs, the 1st tab has a header, the 2nd tab is the continuation of the data on the 1st and does not have a header. I am trying to combine the 2 into 1 tab.

I have used the joining tool and the left & right has data but the join is blank, what am I doing wrong? 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Joins are for placing data from the left and data from the right (your two sheets) together on a single record. Unions are for continuing a stream of equal data onto similar records.

If the linkage off data is a key field, like account number, you can join the data via that key. If the relative position, like record number, is used to link the data across the sheets you can join via record number. 

Are you joining or unioning your data?

Cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Dani1
5 - Atom

Thanks I am very new to Alteryx!!  My data input files are the same excel sheet, the left is tab 1, and the right is tab 2.

Currently to do this outside of excel, I have to select & copy tab 2 (which has no header) & paste beneath the current data on tab 1. So I'm trying to use alteryx to do that so all data is one 1 tab. So I guess that is union

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Dani1 ,

Welcome!  You can use the Union tool and choose:

• Auto configure by position: Stack data by the column order in the stream.

this is equivalent to pasting data from sheet two beneath sheet one. 

cheers,

mark

https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/union-tool

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels