Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join Tables with Fuzzy Matching

davidlittle
5 - Atom

I have two databases that house similar information that I'm attempting to join/merge together.  The main join takes place between Company Name, and there is not always consistency with the company names, even within the same database.  I'm attempting to create a common Company Name between the two databases so that I can use Company Name (along with a few other fields) to join the two sources.  Here is an example:

Database 1

Company NameEvent DateNotesContact
XYZ Retirement Communities1/1/2019 Jane Doe
XYZ - Retirement Communities7/1/2019At Location YJane Doe
XYZ Retirement Communities12/1/2019 Jim Smith
123 LLC1/1/2020  

Database 2

Company NameEvent Date
XYZ Retirement Communities1/1/2019
XYZ Retirement Community7/1/2019
123 LLC2/1/2020

Current Efforts

My original efforts were to join the tables together, then remove all duplicate names, leaving me with just a list of unique Company Names, and then use a fuzzy match.  What this left me was the following:

Company NameMatch Name
XYZ Retirement CommunitiesXYZ Retirement Community
XYZ - Retirement CommunitiesXYZ Retirement Communities
XYZ Retirement CommunityXYZ Retirement Communities
123 LLC123 LLC

What I'm seeing with my results is that I end up with multiple matches that don't always tie together.  In this case, my hope was that this match would result in the same Match Name for all 3 original Company Names, but instead I'm showing more than 1 Match Name.

Goal

Looking at Company Name, there are three separate versions of XYZ Retirement Communities.  All of these separate versions are the same company, and there should be a common name both to join the tables, and to ensure that within the individual tables, we have the same Company Name.  My thoughts were to create a new field for each table called "Common Company Name" that would be used to then join the databases.  M

1 REPLY 1
Bennel_Wilson
8 - Asteroid

Hi @davidlittle ,

I tried a workflow based your query. Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Benn

P.S: If this solves your query, kindly mark it as a solution.

Labels