Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Iterative Macro Nesting?

levonbjohnson
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to build a nested macro that contains an iterative macro inside another iterative macro inside a standard macro. I have created the 2nd iterative macro (the one that will be nested within the higher-level iterative macro) without any trouble. In building the higher-level iterative macro, however, Designer keeps changing the macro format to Batch every time I insert the nested iterative macro onto the canvas (specifically when I attach the Control Parameter).

Here is a screenshot pre-Control Parameter:

Capture1.JPG

And here is how it looks as soon as I add the Control Parameter:

Capture2.JPG

Is it not possible to nest an iterative macro inside another iterative macro?

2 REPLIES 2
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You definitely should be able to nest iterative macros (caveat:I've never actually tried it)! However, the control parameter tool can only be used for batch macros, which explains why your macro is automatically turning into a batch macro when you add the control parameter. So your 2 options would be to either keep the control parameter and set it up as a batch macro, or change the control parameter to a macro input and set it up as an iterative macro. It's possible that based on your unique workflow only 1 of those two is possible/ideal.

levonbjohnson
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for correcting my obvious ignorance around Iterative Macros. It works perfectly without the Control Parameter & Action tools (I saw them in the example iterative macro I was looking at and just assumed they were necessary as well). Thanks!

Labels